Connect your Data Products
with Data Contracts
Build a data product inventory, agree on data contracts, and define global policies with Data Mesh Manager for pragmatic data mesh governance.
Made by the authors of datamesh-architecture.com and datamesh-governance.com.
Create an inventory
Data Products are the building blocks of your data mesh. Make them first-class citizens.
- A data catalog is not enough. Use the comprehensive inventory of data products as a powerful entrypoint to navigate through your data mesh. Find the data products that enable your use cases.
- Identify the data products that you can trust. See the data product's policy adoption and usage statistics.
- Integrate your data platform with the Data Mesh Manager API right from your CI/CD pipelines. Keep everything up-to-date automatically without having to enter metadata manually.
Connect your data
A data contract is a formal agreement between a data product provider and a data product consumer. Make the guarantees about provided data and expectations of the data usage explicit.
- Manage promises and expectations.
- Data contracts specify which data products are used by whom and for what. With a data contract, consumers can count on the promised data quality.
- Agree and reassess.
- Data Mesh Manager supports the full life-cycle of data contracts as a self-service: Request and accept the access to a data product to agree on a bilateral data contract. Regular reassessment dates allow data contracts to be renewed or terminated, for example, when a data product version is deprecated.
- Subscribe to the Data Mesh Manager events API to trigger the creation of IAM permissions in your data platform, once a data contract is created or updated.
Make governance decisions
Data Mesh Manager facilities global policies through Decision Records: Define the context and problem statement, describe consequences for viable options and agree on a decision.
- Document decisions.
- Discuss and document options. Be aware of the consequences. Agree on an option. Notify all data product users about new policies.
- Rely on best practices.
- You don't have to reinvent all global policies by yourself. Data Mesh Manager comes with sensible global policy examples, tailored to major data platforms.
- Track policy automation and adoption.
- Policies are preferably fully automated by your data platform, but some policies require changes in the data products or by the teams. Data Mesh Manager allows to track policy adoption on a data platform, data product, and team level.
Organize the governance process
The federated governance operating model defines the members, collaboration mode, and decision processes of the federated data mesh governance group. Make governance work.
- Decentralize ownership.
- Let teams manage their own data products, data contracts, and policy adoption. Data Mesh Manager supports them with information, notifications, and APIs they need to take ownership.
- Prepare efficient meetings.
- Every user can asynchronously submit and review topics for the governance group to work and decide on in the next governance meeting.
- Smart suggestions.
- Data Mesh Manager guides your governance group by smart suggestions for policies and action items based on your recent activities, missing policies, and policy adoption status.
Manage data products, data contracts, and global policies.
Try Data Mesh Manager demo
Choose the plan for your stage in the data mesh journey
Data Mesh Manager is a managed SaaS application for data product owners, data product consumers, and the federated governance group.
Define the foundations for your data mesh.
Free (and actually useful)Sign up
- 10 data products
- 10 data contracts
- Unlimited global policies
A plan that scales with your mesh.
$29 /data product per monthBuy plan
- Unlimited data contracts
- Unlimited users
- Unlimited global policies
- 24-hour support response time
Everything to fit your custom needs.
- Flat pricing
- SSO integration
- Individual customizing
- On-premise deployment option
- Pay by invoice (EU customers)
At INNOQ, we help customers to build software systems that scale well with methods such as Domain-driven Design, autonomous development teams, and self-contained system architectures.
When we started to use domain data to analyze and evaluate feature ideas, it fundamentally changed the way we think about data in software engineering. Data-driven decisions motivated us to build the right things. We combined our existing knowledge in software engineering and data analytics to share our perspective of data mesh on datamesh-architecture.com. We also translated Zhamak Dehghani's amazing Data Mesh book into German.
As consultants, we helped many clients on their data mesh journey. We realized that federated computational governance is the fuzziest, yet the most important principle. To make it more tangible, we collected examples and best practices of guiding values, operating models, and global policies and shared them on datamesh-governance.com. We noticed that existing tools were not fitting well to support data mesh governance, so we decided to build Data Mesh Manager that helps to discover data products, agree on data contracts, and comply with global policies.
Frequently asked questions
Have a different question and can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Reach out by sending us an email and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
- Which data platform do you support?
- Data Mesh Manager is focusing on the data mesh governance aspect and is data platform neutral. Through the API, Data Platform Manager can be integrated in all deployment pipelines and platforms, such as AWS Athena, AWS Redshift, GCP BigQuery, Azure Synapse, Snowflake, Databricks, and others.
- We already have a data catalog. Do we need Data Mesh Manager?
- Probably yes. Most data catalogs focus on data assets, contain too many entries such as tables and internal data structures and thus quickly become convoluted. Data Mesh Manager focuses on data products and data contracts instead, and then links to the corresponding entries in your data catalog for more details on data structures.
- We are just starting our data mesh journey. Why should we consider Data Mesh Manager?
- You need to have a goto place where you document and discover your data products and data contracts. The data product inventory of the Data Mesh Manager offers you such a place, and can give you a feeling of joy when you watch your mesh grow. At some point, you need to start to focus on data governance. Your first global policies should cover interoperability, documentation, and security. Data Mesh Manager comes with ready-to-use policies that speeds up your initial governance steps.
- Where are your servers located?
- All servers and data are hosted in the EU with european providers.